Wilmington, NC welcomes the Wells Fargo Championship at Eagle Point Golf Club May 1 through 7, 2017. This PGA tour event with a purse of $7.5 million (the first-place winner will take home $1.35 million) draws some of the top names in golf.
If you’re one of the 156 players in the Wells Fargo Championship, or if you’re in Wilmington to assist or to watch the tournament, rest assured there is plenty to do here when you’re not at the links. We invite you to visit historic downtown Wilmington for some fun.
- THE PLAYERS ParTEE at Vida Cantina @ Port City Marina
- Party at the Pier at Pier 33 – May 5th 4:30-7pm- This special WilmingtonBiz After Hours event will bring together the Cape Fear business community with people who are visiting our region for the Wells Fargo Championship.
Here are just a few of the attractions and fun things to do in downtown Wilmington during the Wells Fargo Championship golf tournament:
1. Take a Stroll on the Cape Fear Riverwalk
Our popular Riverwalk offers fresh breezes, shopping, dining, and a spectacular evening sunset. Try our Riverwalk Bingo game so you don’t miss the best sites.
2. The Battleship North Carolina Guards Wilmington
Right across the Cape Fear River is the Battleship North Carolina. Now at rest and open to the public, this historic World War II ship is a floating museum open for tours and exploration.
3. Sip Some Suds During the Wells Fargo Championship
If you like craft beer, you’ll want to visit some of downtown Wilmington’s favorite microbreweries. Try a couple of these:
- Flytrap Brewing: These brewers specialize in American and Belgian ales at a popular hangout in the Brooklyn Arts District.
- Front Street Brewery: Take a tour, sample seasonal beers, or grab a bite at this downtown landmark.
- Ironclad Brewery: Two floors of bars accommodate parties large and small. You can have food delivered or bring in your own.
- New Anthem: At the foot of Dock Street, taste Belgian/French, IPAs, stouts, and porters.
- Waterline Brewery: You’ll find this new brewery under the bridge downtown. You may also find food trucks, live music, and an eclectic selection of beers.
4. Take a Sightseeing Cruise in Downtown Wilmington
Get out on the water and enjoy the very best view of historic downtown Wilmington during the Wells Fargo Championship. Take a narrated sightseeing cruises at the Cape Fear Riverboats dock at Water and Dock Streets. Call (910) 343-1611 to check schedules, or book online.
5. Find a Treasure at Charming Historic Shops
For more ideas, stop by the Cape Fear Riverboats ticket booth right on the Riverwalk at Dock and Water Streets. We love to brag about our hometown, where natural beauty abounds and there’s always something fun to do!