Downtown Wilmington is too much fun! You can take a stroll by the Cape Fear River, admire downtown Wilmington’s historic architecture and charm, and get a bite of almost any cuisine. There’s so much to do that we can’t name everything, but you’d be crazy not to do some of these great things in downtown Wilmington:
Get out and enjoy the weather on the river! Hourly narrated sightseeing cruises depart from our Cape Fear Riverboats dock at Water and Dock Streets. Ride the J.N. Maffitt, John Knox, or Jacob’s Run to enjoy fresh river breezes, the very best view of downtown Wilmington, and a moment away from it all. Call (910) 343-1611 to check schedules.
From April 5-9, 2017, join in Wilmington’s annual rite of spring, the North Carolina Azalea Festival! Plenty of live music, a parade, an art show, beautiful belles, a street fair,fireworks, and lots more make the Azalea Festival an event you’d be crazy to miss.
3. Visit One of Downtown’s Many Museums
Whether you’re visiting Wilmington or live here, you’d be crazy not to go to the lovely museums downtown. Here are just a few:
- Bellamy Mansion Museum: Take a tour through this graceful example of antebellum architecture complete with high columns and restored slave quarters, and learn about pre-Civil War history and design.
- Wilmington Railroad Museum: A real steam locomotive, caboose, and boxcar draw kids of all ages to this downtown Wilmington museum. Operating model trains loop a historically-accurate layout of Wilmington’s trains.
- Cape Fear Serpentarium: Snakes, lizards, and even crocodiles show off their stuff at this amazing museum you’d be crazy not to see. For real thrills, visit at feeding time!
- Children’s Museum: Your kids will be busy all day at the teddy bear hospital, pirate ship, grocery store and much more at the downtown Wilmington Children’s Museum. You’d be crazy not to attend the Pizza Putt or Dino Day!
4. Sip a Riverfront Drink
Downtown Wilmington’s Riverwalk is fun for shopping, dining, and events. But you’d be crazy not to stop and sit and just enjoy the view. Get an adult beverage at many locations situated right on the Riverwalk, such as the George, Le Catalan, or the Pilot House. Kick back and enjoy the breeze and people-watch as boats dock and the sun sets. Cheers!
5. Taste the Downtown Wilmington Farmer’s Market
Beginning April 15, 2017, downtown Wilmington is the place to be on Saturday morning! Local farmers are joined by artisans and musicians for a delicious and healthful shopping experience.
6. Take a Tour of Historic Downtown Wilmington
You’d be crazy not to take one of these fun tours in downtown Wilmington: