When you want to spend some time with your kids and have a nice time yourself, come on downtown! There’s plenty to do and see in downtown Wilmington NC that will keep kids busy and be enjoyable for parents, too.
A Family Friendly Afternoon at the Museum
There are a number of museums in downtown Wilmington, and you’ll be sure to find one that fits your kids’ interests.
- Battleship North Carolina: It’s just like being a sailor during World War II! Give your kids a chance to explore this floating museum.
- Children’s Museum: With a pirate ship, a tree house, an art room, a teddy bear hospital, and much more, your kids will let off steam and never be bored at the Children’s Museum.
- Museum of the Bizarre: Weird and unique, this one is perfect for older kids who can enjoy skeletons, mermaids, a two-headed sheep, and hands-on exhibits.
- Serpentarium: Lizards, dragons, anacondas, boas, crocodiles, and venomous snakes are scary and at the same time, safe behind glass.
- Wilmington Railroad Museum: Authentic model trains run in fun layouts, plus there’s a tank train play area and a real 100-year-old steam locomotive.
Get the Kids Ready for a Cruise
Head down to the Riverwalk for a cruise on a real Cape Fear riverboat. But first, take care of young appetites at the River Grill. The newly renovated River Grill has:
- Kid-friendly food like cheeseburgers, hot dogs, and chicken tenders
- The Children’s National Food, French fries
- Soft drinks for kids, plus beer and wine for parents, if needed
- Chips, candy, and snacks for the boat ride
- A great view of the Cape Fear River
All Aboard for a River Cruise
After lunch, let your kids stretch their legs by exploring Wilmington’s Riverwalk. You can even play Riverwalk Bingo to pass a little time. Then you and your kids will love our 1-hour narrated sightseeing cruise aboard the Capt. J.N. Maffitt, John Knox, or Jacob’s Run.
- The 1-hour cruise is a perfect length for young attention spans
- Learn a little about the Cape Fear River and its animal life
- Hear stories of the past on our historic river
- Find out fun facts about the film industry in Wilmington
- Ride in an open boat with a roof in case of showers
- Take in the scenery and the fresh river breezes
- Bring your camera to get photos of the kids on the boat!
The cost of our scenic sightseeing cruises is only $10 for adults, $5 for kids 2-12, and kids under 2 are free!
Book a cruise online now, or call (910) 343-1611 to find out more. Or just head down to our ticket booth at Dock and Water Streets, right next to the Riverwalk and River Grill. Have fun on your kid-friendly afternoon on the Cape Fear River!